Skip to content
Search

Phil Collins Rules Out Hall of Fame Performance, But ‘Would Contemplate’ a Tour

"You've gotte be match fit to do something like that," he told the BBC. "You're going to have to rehearse. And by that point, if you haven't been singing, your voice is going to be shot"

Phil Collins Rules Out Hall of Fame Performance, But ‘Would Contemplate’ a Tour

Phil Collins from Genesis performs at U Arena on March 17, 2022 in Nanterre, France.

David Wolff-Patrick/Redferns/Getty Images

In a new interview on the UK’s BBC Breakfast, Phil Collins ruled out performing at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame when he’s inducted as a solo artist in November. “They asked me if I would perform,” he told host Charlotte Gallagher. “I said no. You’ve gotta be match fit to do something like that. You can’t just go onstage. You’re going to have to rehearse. And by that point, if you haven’t been singing, your voice is going to be shot, and that’s not going to be good. I’d rather not do it.”

Collins hasn’t played live since the final date of the Genesis Last Dominio? tour in March 2022. He’s faced numerous health challenges since that time, but he told Gallagher that he’s been on the mend. “I’m healthier than he has been in a while,” he said. “I had a problem with my knee, which I had for a while, but I played through it – toured through it. But eventually, I had to have a knee operation, and I had to have five – five times because it kept either getting infected or it broke, so I was inactive for a long time.”


“The last 18 months have been fine, but before that, not so good,” he added. “Everything health-wise caught up to me at the same time. Whatever could go wrong did go wrong, but everything is fine now.”

As far as returning to the road at some point, Collins seems torn. He initially told Gallagher that he “can’t really see it” when asked about touring again, but moments later gave a slightly more hopeful answer. “Whether I would go out again,” he said. “I would contemplate.”

He’s also contemplating putting together new music, which could possibly lead to his first album of new material since 2002’s Testify. “I’m constantly saying to myself, ‘I’ve got to go back down into my studio at home,'” he said. “I’ve got lots of lyrical ideas that I write down, and there are things that are half-formed and a couple of things that are finished. So there’s something that I can get my teeth into to start working on.”

Earlier this month, Collins went on Eddie Trunk’s SiriusXM show Trunk Nation, where he said he was surprised when he learned about the Hall of Fame induction. “I’ve always followed up after [Genesis were inducted in 2010],” he said, “the results of who got in and who didn’t. But I’d kind of thought that that was it for me. I didn’t expect it. And I’m very, very flattered and pleased that I was thought of, and enough people on the panel. I guess it is—I don’t know how this thing works, but it’s very nice to be there, and I’m very pleased.”

More Stories

BTS Announce Global Live Screening of ‘Arirang’ World Tour’s Homecoming Show

BTS

Kim Hong-Ji - Pool/Getty Images

BTS Announce Global Live Screening of ‘Arirang’ World Tour’s Homecoming Show

BTSArirang world tour will come to the big screen for one-night-only with a live screening of their homecoming Busan, South Korea gig.

Scheduled for June 13 — BTS’ official anniversary date — at the Busan Asiad Municipal Stadium, BTS World Tour ‘Arirang’ in Busan: Live Viewing will screen live globally via the Trafalgar Releasing event.

Keep ReadingShow less
‘Michael Jackson: The Verdict’ Doc to Pick Up ‘Michael’ Story With Sex Abuse Trial

Michael Jackson.

Kevork Djansezian-Pool/Getty Images

‘Michael Jackson: The Verdict’ Doc to Pick Up ‘Michael’ Story With Sex Abuse Trial

Michael Jackson’s story ends in 1988 in the biopic, Michael, the box-office hit that once again is the Number One movie in the United States. Now a new, three-part Netflix docuseries will continue the story of the King of Pop.

Michael Jackson: The Verdict, which premieres June 3, will reexamine Jackson’s 2005 trial for child molestation. Talking heads for the docuseries include jurors, eyewitnesses, accusers, and Jackson’s defenders. The film, directed by Nick Green, will look at both sides of the trial, the prosecution’s and Jackson’s defense, all leading to Jackson’s acquittal. A trailer for the docuseries begins with footage of Jackson’s home. “We believed he was a criminal, and he was able to get away with it because of his fame and celebrity,” says one of the interviewees.

Keep ReadingShow less
Angine de Poitrine add new Canadian dates to sprawling 2026 tour
Angine de Poitrine*

Angine de Poitrine add new Canadian dates to sprawling 2026 tour

Québec experimental duo Angine de Poitrine are extending their relentless 2026 touring cycle with another batch of North American dates, including newly added Canadian dates in Picton, Vancouver, and Toronto.

The added performances arrive as the masked pair continue building a reputation as one of the country’s most unpredictable live acts. Known for combining microtonal compositions, chaotic stage presence, and a deliberately absurd sense of humour, Angine de Poitrine have spent the past year moving steadily from underground curiosity to international festival fixture.

Keep ReadingShow less
Stephen Colbert Helps David Byrne Burn Down the House on ‘The Late Show’

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and musical guest David Byrne during Tuesday’s May 19, 2026 show. Photo: Scott Kowalchyk ©2026 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Scott Kowalchyk /CBS

Stephen Colbert Helps David Byrne Burn Down the House on ‘The Late Show’

Stephen Colbert has one night left before saying goodbye to The Late Show. Ahead of the series finale, scheduled for May 21, the host welcomed one of the show’s last musical guests for a fiery sendoff: David Byrne, performing Talking Heads classic “Burning Down the House.”

Bryne took the Late Show stage alongside his Why Is The Sky? band. The musicians jammed out in matching blue suits before being joined by Colbert in the same get-up. Flames raged on the screen behind them during the performance. It’s a fitting farewell.

Keep ReadingShow less
Kylie Minogue Reveals She Privately Beat Cancer a Second Time: ‘All Is Well’

Kylie Minogue.

John Phillips/Getty Images for Netflix

Kylie Minogue Reveals She Privately Beat Cancer a Second Time: ‘All Is Well’

In a new docuseries about Kylie Minogue, the pop star revealed that after she faced a cancer scare that the media covered heavily two decades ago, she privately faced a second diagnosis in 2021 and “got through it again.”

“Thankfully, I got through it, again, and all is well,” she said in the film, according to the BBC. “Hey, who knows what’s around the corner, but pop music nurtures me… my passion for music is greater than ever.” The three-part docuseries, Kylie, is available now on Netflix.

Keep ReadingShow less