Skip to content
Search

Jimi Hendrix Bandmates’ Heirs Lose Royalties Fight Against Sony, Hendrix Estate

“This decision means we can continue protecting [Jimi's] legacy with the love, care, and integrity it deserves," the guitar legend's sister tells Rolling Stone

Jimi Hendrix Bandmates’ Heirs Lose Royalties Fight Against Sony, Hendrix Estate

A judge ruled against a bid to secure royalties from Jimi Hendrix's catalog.

Christian Rose/Roger Viollet via Getty Images)

A London-based judge has rejected copyright claims from the heirs of two former bandmates of Jimi Hendrix, ruling against their bid to secure royalties from the guitarist’s catalog in a long-running dispute with Sony Music and the Hendrix estate.

In a 140-page ruling obtained by Rolling Stone, British High Court Judge Edwin Johnson found that Jimi Hendrix Experience bassist David Noel Redding and drummer John “Mitch” Mitchell signed a recording agreement on Oct. 11, 1966, that forfeited their rights to future royalties. The agreement was between band members Hendrix, Redding, and Mitchell and two music producers, Michael Jeffery and Bryan “Chas” Chandler.


“I conclude that the first owners of the copyrights… were the producers,” the judge wrote, finding that a critical clause of the agreement stated that the producers owned the rights to “any sound recordings made hereunder.” A subclause then said the rights covered “the copyright throughout the world in all sound recordings of performances of musical works by the artistes,” the judge found.

“It is difficult to see how this could have been expressed more clearly,” Judge Johnson wrote. “The producers were to have the copyright in sound recordings made pursuant to the terms of the recording agreement. This clearly included the recordings, which were all made pursuant to the terms of the recording agreement.”

The judge repeatedly described the agreement as “clear and unequivocal,” adding that “there was no temporal or territorial limitation to this agreement” and no language qualifying the grant of ownership. He further found that a “series of transactions” after Hendrix’s 1970 death made the Hendrix estate “the ultimate successor” to the producers’ rights under the recording agreement.

Jimi’s younger sister, Janie Hendrix, the CEO of Experience Hendrix, cheered the ruling in a statement sent to Rolling Stone. “Jimi’s music is more than a catalog — it’s a living piece of our family’s soul, filled with his spirit, his passion, and his truth,” she says. “This decision means we can continue protecting that legacy with the love, care, and integrity it deserves, and ensure his voice is honored for generations to come.”

Attempts to reach representatives for the estates of Redding and Mitchell were not immediately successful on Tuesday.

As Rolling Stone previously reported, the legal dispute traces back to a 2021 letter that British attorney Lawrence Abramson sent to Sony, claiming that Mitchell’s and Redding’s estates were owed performance royalties for billions of streams. He wrote that the sales linked to the streams were “estimated to be in the millions of pounds.”

Experience Hendrix and Sony responded by filing a lawsuit in Manhattan federal court, asking for “a declaratory judgment of ownership and non-infringement.” The heirs of Redding and Mitchell filed a competing lawsuit in London, and the New York litigation was put on hold, with the British courts given priority to handle the legal battle.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience was formed in 1966 and split in June 1969 when Redding quit. Mitchell continued playing with Hendrix off and on until Hendrix died in September 1970 at age 27. Redding died in May 2003, leaving his estate to his partner, Deborah McNaughton, whose sisters inherited the estate upon her death. Mitchell’s daughter, Aysha, inherited his estate when he died in Nov. 2008.

More Stories

Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Famous Guest Drummers Honor Neil Peart in New Documentary

Neil Peart of the band Rush performs at Comiskey Park in Chicago on Aug. 19, 1979.

Paul Natkin/Getty Images

Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Famous Guest Drummers Honor Neil Peart in New Documentary

A new documentary about the late Neil Peart, Rush’s drummer and lyricist, will debut on Canada’s CBC network Sept. 23. Neil Peart: No One’s Disciple will tell Peart’s life story, and it will also feature interviews with Rush co-founders Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson, as well with a crew of legendary drummers talking about his influence.

Also for the documentary, Lee and Lifeson filmed rehearsal hall performances of classic Rush songs with some well-known guest drummers, including the Police’s Stewart Copeland, the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Chad Smith, and Tool’s Danny Carey. The pair previously played with Smith and Carey at a Taylor Hawkins tribute concert in 2022, but had never before performed with Copeland, who was close friends with Peart.

Keep ReadingShow less
See Chris Stapleton Join Guns N’ Roses for ‘Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door’ in Toronto

Slash and Chris Stapleton

YouTube

See Chris Stapleton Join Guns N’ Roses for ‘Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door’ in Toronto

A decade after Chris Stapleton first served as Guns N’ Roses’ opening act, the country singer joined the band onstage during their Toronto concert Wednesday to perform “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.”

Stapleton and Axl Rose shared lead vocals on GNR’s rendition of the Bob Dylan classic, with Stapleton
— in town for his own Toronto show Thursday night at Rogers Stadium, the same venue as GNR’s gig — also providing rhythm guitar as Slash embarked on a lengthier-than-usual solo:

Keep ReadingShow less
Toronto Gets Ready for Rush Day 2026 as the Band Comes Home
Geddy Lee of Rush performs onstage during the 2026 JUNO Awards
Getty Images

Toronto Gets Ready for Rush Day 2026 as the Band Comes Home

Rush fans will have an entire weekend to celebrate the return of one of Canada’s most influential rock bands as Toronto prepares for Rush Day 2026, a three-day gathering honouring the group’s music, history and enduring legacy.

Taking place from August 7 to 9 at Henderson Brewing Company, the celebration coincides with Rush’s long-awaited return to the stage in their hometown. The band’s 2026 Fifty Something tour marks a new chapter for Rush, with Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson performing together again following the end of their touring career in 2015 and the passing of legendary drummer and lyricist Neil Peart in 2020.

Keep ReadingShow less
Weezer Go Back in Time for ‘C.E.O.’ Music Video
Brendan Walter

Weezer Go Back in Time for ‘C.E.O.’ Music Video

Weezer gathered a slew of guest stars for the raucous video for their new single “C.E.O.” The band, who will unveil their 20th studio LP, Weezer, on Aug. 21, enlisted Tony Hawk, Curry Barker, Dax Flame, Chit, Rob Riggle, Rob Huebel, Michael Peña, Giovanni Ribisi, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse.

The meta clip pays homage to their classic 1994 video for “Undone (The Sweater Song).” Huebel and Riggle play a pair of stereotypical CEOs watching Weezer shoot a music video in front of a gold backdrop, instead of the original blue. Frontman Rivers Cuomo complains about being stuck in the past, telling them, “We’ve done this before.” The band quits when the director releases a swarm of bees onto the set (the original clip featured dogs), only to be replaced by look-alikes.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jay-Z Drops First New Verse in Years on Beyoncé’s New ‘Morning Dew (Donk)’ Remix

JAŸ-Z30 JAY-Z at Yankee Stadium

SACHA LECCA for Rolling Stone

Jay-Z Drops First New Verse in Years on Beyoncé’s New ‘Morning Dew (Donk)’ Remix

Late in the night, Beyoncé dropped an extended remix pack for “Morning Dew (Donk),” the archival release she shared last month that dates back to the Beyoncé album era. The four-track release builds on the base of the R&B track with a featured appearance from Jay-Z and new production elements that draw on releases from Soulja Boy, the Isley Brothers, and Sheck Wes.

“Bitch so bad, I had to give her my last name/Up for the cash, came diamond in the tatted rings/If you ain’t ridin’ for the gang, shut the fuck up,” Jay-Z raps on his added verse. Sheck Wes’ 2018 hit “Mo Bamba” provides an overlay on the new bridge as Jay-Z uses his first new rap verse in almost half a decade to mock any envy anyone might have over his watches or his wife.

Keep ReadingShow less