Skip to content
Search

Tupac Murder Suspect Loses Bid to Suppress Evidence from Nighttime Search

Duane “Keffe D” Davis previously failed in an attempt to have the murder charge dismissed and is due to go on trial this August

Tupac Murder Suspect Loses Bid to Suppress Evidence from Nighttime Search

Duane “Keffe D” Davis enters a courtroom in Clark County District Court last June.

Steve Marcus-Pool/Getty Images

The man charged with murder for his alleged role in the 1996 shooting death of hip-hop legend Tupac Shakur lost his bid to suppress key evidence that he argued was obtained through an unlawful nighttime search. A judge denied the request at a Tuesday hearing, a courtroom source confirms to Rolling Stone.

Duane “Keffe D” Davis and his lawyers, William Brown and Robert Draskovich, had argued in court filings that investigators presented a “misleading portrait” of Davis in their search warrant application presented to a magistrate judge. They said the affidavit unfairly depicted Davis as a potentially armed and dangerous narcotics dealer who might provoke a standoff with police, putting his neighbors at risk.


The defense lawyers argued in filings obtained by Rolling Stone that Davis was a retired grandfather and cancer survivor who “cooperated politely” when a detective knocked on his door during daylight hours before the July 2023 search and his subsequent arrest in September 2023. At the time, the defense lawyers said, Davis was living a quiet life with his wife in a Las Vegas suburb and simply asked to have a lawyer present before speaking with police.

The lawyers said police made “strategic omissions” when they later portrayed Davis as a “multiple-time convicted felon” with a gun arrest, without noting that his drug convictions were 25 years old and that his gun arrest, eight years earlier, did not result in a conviction. According to the lawyers, Davis left the drug trade in 2008 and had a decade of lawful employment afterward, working as an oil refinery inspector. The image presented to secure the warrant “bore little resemblance to reality,” the lawyers argued.

In their search warrant application, excerpted in court filings obtained by Rolling Stone, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Det. Clifford Mogg said officers sought to search Davis’s home at night because “the cover of darkness will allow officers to surround and secure the residence.” He added that if Davis or others inside tried to “barricade themselves,” darkness would enable officers to evacuate nearby homes “with the least exposure to residents.” (Davis and his lawyers claimed the safety rationale didn’t make sense because neighbors were more likely to be home at night.)

Davis, 62, has pleaded not guilty to a single murder count and is being held without bail at the Clark County Detention Center. Prosecutors allege he orchestrated Shakur’s drive-by killing and supplied the .40-caliber Glock that also wounded Suge Knight, co-founder of Death Row Records, who was driving along the Las Vegas Strip. Authorities say the attack was retaliation after Shakur got in a fight with Orlando Anderson hours earlier inside a casino on Sept. 6, 1996.

In a 2019 memoir, Davis detailed his rise in the South Side Crips and acknowledged signing a federal cooperation agreement tied to a drug case in Los Angeles. During a 2008 interview with law enforcement, he claimed Sean Combs, the founder of Bad Boy Records, offered $1 million to have Knight and Shakur killed amid a feud. (Combs has vehemently denied the allegation.) Davis said an associate named Eric “Zip” Martin supplied the gun that he passed into the back seat of a rented Cadillac, where Anderson allegedly used it to open fire. Davis said he was never paid any money.

While prosecutors allege Davis’ tell-all memoir and interviews represent key evidence in the case, the defense insists they were pure showmanship. His lawyers argued the statements were “entertainment” meant to generate profit. They compared the public’s cultural fixation on Tupac‘s death to the assassination of John F. Kennedy, arguing it was easy to see why someone might falsely place himself at the center for personal gain.

Anderson denied any role in the shooting before he was killed in 1998 at age 23 in Compton. Police have never recovered the alleged murder weapon. Davis previously failed in an attempt to have the charges dismissed. His trial, which has been postponed multiple times, is set for Aug. 10.

More Stories

Big Sean Reflects on Sharing His ‘Very Deep Battle of Depression’ After Nipsey Hussle’s Death

Big Sean Reflects on Sharing His ‘Very Deep Battle of Depression’ After Nipsey Hussle’s Death

Big Sean has never shied away from sharing his mental health struggles. Following the death of the rapper’s close friend and collaborator Nipsey Hussle in 2019, Big Sean was open about how he struggled with and sought therapy for depression and anxiety. Now, the rapper is reflecting on the courage it took to speak candidly about his mental health.

In an exclusive clip from ABC News’ All Access interview with Big Sean and Usher, host Linsey Davis asks Big Sean what it felt like to open up about a topic that is “very taboo in the black community.” Big Sean reveals that he didn’t let that stop him. “I was just sharing what was going on in my life. I didn’t realize that I was being so vulnerable. I wasn’t trying to be a spokesperson for mental health per se,” he says. “I was just expressing how I was going into therapy and experiencing a time of heavy ups and downs, a time of depression,” he adds.

Keep ReadingShow less
Dee Snider Says ‘I’m Not Dying’ Amid Rumors After Twisted Sister Cancel Tour

Dee Snider Says ‘I’m Not Dying’ Amid Rumors After Twisted Sister Cancel Tour

In the aftermath of Twisted Sister’s canceled 50th anniversary tour, Dee Snider has put rumors of his imminent death to rest, telling fans he’s “alive and well” but just unable to perform live.

“I’m not dying! No, not never; I mean, we’re all dying, but not immediately,” Snider said on his House of Hair radio show, a week after he abruptly resigned from Twisted Sister and canceled the metal act’s 2026 reunion shows.

Keep ReadingShow less
When Iran’s Government Cracked Down, the People Still Had Music

When Iran’s Government Cracked Down, the People Still Had Music

When R.A. met her friends during the internet shutdown that followed the protests in Tehran last month, they were all carrying flash drives to be exchanged. There was nothing but music on the drives, but that meant everything to R.A., a classical music student finishing her four-year degree in Iran’s capital city. She and her friends found each other in cafes, exchanging downloaded files by hand, moving songs from person to person. “Because we can’t just stay away from music,” R.A. says. “We have to listen.”

She remembers sitting in a cafe where the owner put on a playlist that caught her attention. “It was different from the usual stuff,” she says. The music leaned older, drawn from Iranian artists active decades ago. Rooted in a simpler time, it provided a window to the past — a region that R.A. and her friends could escape to, and explore freely, in their hearts at least.

Keep ReadingShow less
Tourism in Puerto Rico surges after Bad Bunny halftime show
Kevin Sabitus/Getty Images

Tourism in Puerto Rico surges after Bad Bunny halftime show

Bad Bunny’s appearance at the Super Bowl halftime show didn’t just make an impact on the charts. According to information reported by Billboard, the Puerto Rican superstar’s performance also sparked a sharp rise in travel interest across multiple destinations, particularly in the Caribbean and Latin America.

Data shared by Expedia shows that flight searches to Puerto Rico jumped 245% in the days following the event. The capital city of San Juan saw a 240% increase, while Vega Baja, the artist’s hometown, experienced a staggering 1,450% spike. Known for its beaches and coastal scenery, the town is now drawing fans eager to connect with the cultural roots behind the global star.

Keep ReadingShow less
‘We Wanna Dance With All Our Friends’: Harry Styles Announces Album Listening Parties
Kevin Mazur/Getty Images

‘We Wanna Dance With All Our Friends’: Harry Styles Announces Album Listening Parties

Harry Styles has revealed listening parties for Kiss All the Time. Disco, Occasionally, his new album out on March 6.

Styles announced the parties via Instagram, with the caption “We wanna dance with all our friends.” The parties will be spread across 40 cities, kicking off on Feb. 18. The specific dates have yet to be announced.

Keep ReadingShow less