Skip to content
Search

Fugees’ Pras Michel Denied Bail As He Appeals Foreign Influence Conviction, 14-Year Sentence

Musician granted two-month delay of prison surrender date to appeal bail matter with higher court.

Fugees’ Pras Michel Denied Bail As He Appeals Foreign Influence Conviction, 14-Year Sentence

Fugees rapper Pras Michel failed to convince his trial judge that he should remain free on bail while he appeals his conviction and resulting 14-year prison sentence in his money laundering, illegal lobbying, and witness tampering case.

In a Thursday ruling, U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly said Michel was convicted of 10 offenses more than two years ago, and his motion for bail pending appeal didn’t meet the burden required to overcome the presumption that he should be detained. But in a small victory for the musician, the judge agreed to delay Michel’s surrender date by two months so he could appeal the bail issue at the federal circuit court level.


While Michel previously was ordered to begin his prison sentence on Jan. 27, he now has a short reprieve and won’t have to report until March 30, the judge said.

Michel, 53, had asked to remain free while he appeals, arguing that a series of reversible errors tainted his conviction. He said the district court improperly referred to him as a “co-conspirator” at least eight times and erred by allowing an F.B.I. agent to offer opinions on at least 25 occasions that he was guilty. But the judge rejected those claims Thursday, saying Michel’s motion largely repeated “the same arguments” that had already been extensively briefed, litigated, and resolved before the jury returned its verdict.

Lawyers for Michel did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the judge’s ruling. The musician “is required to take affirmative action” to pursue his appeal of the bail ruling with the D.C. Circuit in the coming weeks, or “no further extension of his report date will be considered,” Judge Kollar-Kotelly said in her decision.

“This wasn’t a fair trial. This was a coronation of guilt,” Michel’s spokesperson Erica Dumas previously said in a statement to Rolling Stone. “We’re confident the appeals court will recognize this case for what it is, an unprecedented trial that denies Pras’ constitutional right to an impartial jury.”

Federal prosecutors first indicted Michel in 2019, accusing him of making illegal contributions to Barack Obama’s 2012 re-election campaign. Two years later, they expanded the case, adding charges that included bank fraud, concealment of material facts, witness tampering, violations of the Foreign Agents Registration Act, and acting as an unregistered agent of the People’s Republic of China, as outlined in a Rolling Stone feature.

The charges all stemmed from Michel’s relationship with Low Taek Jho, a Malaysian financier accused of stealing $4.5 billion from 1Malaysia Development Berhad, a state fund known as 1MDB. Prosecutors said Michel helped channel money linked to the fund into a lobbying effort aimed at persuading the Trump administration to drop investigations involving Low and a Chinese dissident. Michel denied any wrongdoing. “What benefit would I get trying to break laws?” he told Rolling Stone. “It’s not worth it to me. I’m like a pariah now. I’ve got friends who won’t talk to me because they think there’s a satellite in orbit listening to them.”

Amid the turmoil, Pras briefly reunited with the Fugees for a few months in 2023. He distanced himself from further reunions with Lauryn Hill and Wyclef Jean the following year.

More Stories

AC/DC Pop-Up Shops Coming to Montréal, Toronto and Winnipeg

AC/DC Pop-Up Shops Coming to Montréal, Toronto and Winnipeg

Australia's most legendary rock band has hit Canada and is pursuing their trek out east. AC/DC fans will have a new way to celebrate the band’s return up North, with an official PWR/UP pop-up experience set to accompany every Canadian stop on the group’s 2026 stadium tour.

The temporary spaces will open in Montréal, Toronto and Winnipeg, offering fans a chance to immerse themselves in the AC/DC world before heading to the stadium. The pop-ups will feature limited-edition merchandise, collectibles, themed food and drinks, photo opportunities and tour-inspired displays.

Keep ReadingShow less
Read Courtney Love’s Personal Tribute to ‘True Friend’ Jennifer Finch
Photograph by JENNIFER PRECIOUS FINCH

Read Courtney Love’s Personal Tribute to ‘True Friend’ Jennifer Finch

Courtney Love and Jennifer Finch were instant friends from the moment they met in the early Eighties, and remained close until Finch’s untimely death at age 59 in July. Before Finch joined the influential punk-metal band L7 and long before Love formed Hole, the women made music together in a band called Sugar Babydoll (or Sugar Babylon, depending on the year) alongside future Babes in Toyland frontwoman Kat Bjelland. They remained close as their careers took off, which is a difficult prospect for touring musicians.

The friends supported each other throughout the years. When Love’s husband, Kurt Cobain, died in 1994, Finch was her rock. And in June, when Love learned that Finch had been diagnosed with brain cancer, she traveled to be by her side and support her until the end.

Keep ReadingShow less
Angine de Poitrine Conquered the Internet. Now They’re Coming for America

Angine de Poitrine Conquered the Internet. Now They’re Coming for America

Becky drove up from San Diego without a ticket.

She parked near the Teragram Ballroom in downtown Los Angeles at 1:03 p.m. on Tuesday, ran to Target, and was back in front of the venue by 2:34 p.m. — nearly six hours before doors, in 90-degree heat, for a show she hadn’t managed to buy her way into. She’d spent weeks watching resale prices climb on this sellout.

Keep ReadingShow less
Haywire Throw $5,000 Into the Pit to Celebrate New Album
Heather Vaught

Haywire Throw $5,000 Into the Pit to Celebrate New Album

Boston hardcore band Haywire celebrated their signing to Roadrunner Records last weekend not just by opening up the pit at Sound and Fury fest, but by showering it with $5,000 in cash. On Wednesday, they announced their debut album on their new label, I Don’t Wanna Say Goodbye, out Oct 2nd. The first single — and official music video — “Interstate Love Affair” is out now.

The visuals kick off with the band making it rain at the festival, then launches into the kind of raucous antics inherent in early 2000s MTV videos: firecrackers, trashing hotels, sentient amps, the works. The video perfectly captures Haywire’s ethos: fun-as-fuck hardcore, pure and simply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Suge Knight Gang Associate Dodges Questions at Tupac Trial: ‘Not Gonna Send Him to Prison’

Duane Davis on trial in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Aug. 17, 2026.

STEVE MARCUS/POOL/AFP/Getty Images

Suge Knight Gang Associate Dodges Questions at Tupac Trial: ‘Not Gonna Send Him to Prison’

A former gang member who says he worked “under the table” security for Suge Knight during Death Row Records‘ heyday testified Tuesday he knew “everybody that was there” the night Tupac Shakur was fatally shot in Las Vegas — but he’s not naming names.

Taking the witness stand on the second day of Duane “Keffe D” Davis’ murder trial in Clark County, Nevada, James “Mob James” McDonald told jurors he was working at Knight’s Vegas nightclub, Club 662, when he learned Shakur and Knight had been wounded in a drive-by shooting on Sept. 7, 1996.

Keep ReadingShow less