Skip to content
Search

Suge Knight Gang Associate Dodges Questions at Tupac Trial: ‘Not Gonna Send Him to Prison’

Former gang member James McDonald testified at the trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis

Suge Knight Gang Associate Dodges Questions at Tupac Trial: ‘Not Gonna Send Him to Prison’

Duane Davis on trial in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Aug. 17, 2026.

STEVE MARCUS/POOL/AFP/Getty Images

A former gang member who says he worked “under the table” security for Suge Knight during Death Row Records‘ heyday testified Tuesday he knew “everybody that was there” the night Tupac Shakur was fatally shot in Las Vegas — but he’s not naming names.

Taking the witness stand on the second day of Duane “Keffe D” Davis’ murder trial in Clark County, Nevada, James “Mob James” McDonald told jurors he was working at Knight’s Vegas nightclub, Club 662, when he learned Shakur and Knight had been wounded in a drive-by shooting on Sept. 7, 1996.


McDonald, a member of the Mob Piru Bloods, made it clear he was testifying against his will under a court order. He grew visibly exasperated when Davis’ defense lawyer, Michael Sanft, pressed him on cross-examination about what he heard in the aftermath of the shooting.

“Are you sure you want me to answer that?” McDonald replied, according to the trial livestream from CourtTV. “I don’t want to send him to prison, even though we don’t like each other,” he said, referring to Davis. “You’re asking me questions that can hurt him. … You’re asking something that’s gonna hurt this dude.”

McDonald said he was only willing to speak generally about how, after the shooting, a “gang war” erupted between the Mob Piru Bloods, affiliated with Knight, and the South Side Compton Crips, of which Davis was a high-ranking member.

“Do you know who it was that was there?” Sanft pressed, referring to alleged eyewitnesses who eventually traveled back to Compton.

“I know everybody that was there,” McDonald shot back. When Sanft again asked him to get specific, McDonald appeared stunned and seemed to address Davis, seated in a black suit and tie at the defense table

“Talk to your lawyer, man. This dude is tripping,” McDonald said. “I’m not gonna explain that. I can’t answer that.”

McDonald said he left gang life and is now raising his grandchildren. He said he only agreed to testify because he didn’t want to go on the run to avoid his subpoena. After the shooting, he said, “it wasn’t a problem for people to find out what happened. No problem at all.” He said Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, whom prosecutors allege fired the shots that killed Shakur as Davis allegedly watched from the front seat, quickly became a target for retaliation. (Prosecutors claim Davis, who is Anderson’s uncle, procured the weapon and directed the shooting.)

“When we got back to Compton, it was a gang war. People were getting hurt. People were looking for certain individuals,” he said. “Orlando, and certain other people, were being sought, because people wanted to kill them.”

After McDonald was excused, Knight’s official head of security at the time, Reggie Wright Jr., took the witness stand and said he also was at Club 662 the night of the shooting. He identified McDonald’s brother, Alton “Buntry” McDonald, as one of the members of Shakur’s and Knight’s entourage who was present when the men attended a Mike Tyson boxing match at the MGM Grand earlier that night. After the bout, Shakur got in a fight with Anderson inside the casino that was captured on surveillance video, prosecutors allege.

Wright, who was a sworn Compton police officer in the early 1990s, reviewed the video from the witness stand and said he recognized McDonald’s brother, Alton, as one of the entourage members who also took part in the altercation. He further identified another member of Knight’s private security, Roger “Neckbone” Williams, as taking part in the melee.

Davis, 63, has pleaded not guilty to one count of murder with use of a deadly weapon. He’s been in custody since his arrest in September 2023. Prosecutors claim he was a leader of the South Side Compton Crips when he allegedly orchestrated the deadly drive-by shooting.

In his opening statement Monday, Clark County Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal said Davis obtained the .40-caliber Glock used in the attack and was riding in the front passenger seat of a white Cadillac with Anderson and two other men when Anderson allegedly opened fire.

Palal told jurors that Davis later confessed to his role when he gave a “secret 2008 interview” to authorities in connection with a California drug case that could have sent him to prison for life. Davis subsequently repeated key details in public interviews and his 2019 memoir, Compton Street Legend, Palal said. Jurors heard portions of the 2008 recording Monday, including Davis describing how the Cadillac made a U-turn before he handed off the gun because he didn’t have a clear shot from his position.

“If [Shakur] would have been on my side, I would have blasted,” Davis said in the recording.

Palal said the shooting was clear retaliation for the MGM Grand brawl, the latest incident in a simmering East Coast-West Coast feud pitting Knight’s record label against Sean CombsBad Boy Records in New York. The prosecutor said Davis had agreed to provide “unofficial security” for Combs and his artists when they traveled to the West Coast, particularly to prevent problems with the Mob Piru Bloods, who were affiliated with Death Row.

Asked about the rivalry Tuesday, McDonald said the Crips and Bloods in Compton were peaceful before Bad Boy and Death Row started trading barbs. “When the two record companies got into it, Bad Boy went to Keffe D, and Suge came to us. So that intertwined everything, and we had issues,” he said.

Wright testified Tuesday that he was at the 1996 Soul Train Awards in Los Angeles with Death Row artists and witnessed someone in the Bad Boy entourage allegedly brandish a gun during a tense confrontation. He claimed Davis was there.

“I believe he was with them, but I don’t believe he was the one with the gun,” Wright testified as Davis shook his head at the defense table.

Palal said Monday there was “no question” the beating of Anderson “required” a response. In his opening statement, Sanft disputed that claim, arguing that Davis’ statements taking responsibility were fabricated for entertainment and, ultimately, financial gain. He also questioned why authorities did not charge Davis after the 2008 interview and said investigators made no meaningful effort to corroborate his account.

“It’s because they knew he was full of crap,” Sanft told the jury.

The defense lawyer said prosecutors couldn’t even prove Davis was in Las Vegas that night, claiming they had no receipts, credit card records, or photographs placing Davis at the MGM Grand despite his claim in his book that he attended the Tyson fight. Davis also had claimed Bad Boy Records CEO Sean Combs had once offered $1 million to have Knight and Shakur killed. Combs has denied the allegation. Davis said he was never paid.

The first witnesses at the trial included former Las Vegas police officer Garry Dale, who said he rode in the ambulance with Shakur and repeatedly asked who had shot him. According to Dale, Shakur refused to identify anyone and said, “No, we’ll take care of it.”

Former homicide detective Brent Becker testified that visiting gang investigators from Compton quickly identified Anderson from video of the MGM Grand fight, making him an early suspect. Becker also said Knight came in for questioning three nights after the shooting but claimed he could not identify anyone involved.

“I thought he lied to us,” Becker testified.

More Stories

Céline Dion Opens Up on Paris Residency

Céline Dion Opens Up on Paris Residency

In a new profile for Harper’s Bazaar, Céline Dion opens up about her rigorous physical recovery, her upcoming return to the stage, and the deeply personal journey that led her to break her silence regarding her health. Written by Kevin Mguyen, the cover story offers a rare look at the singer’s daily life as she prepares for a multi-week residency in Paris, which marks her first extended run of shows since suspending her world tour in 2023.

Mainly, Dion opens up on her long struggle with Stiff-Person Syndrome (SPS), a rare autoimmune neurological condition that causes severe muscle rigidity and painful spasms. Although officially diagnosed in 2022, Dion reveals she experienced debilitating symptoms for 17 years prior, often citing routine illnesses like sinus infections when forced to cancel performances.

Keep ReadingShow less
Oasis Doc Trailer Shows Noel Gallagher Asking, ‘Will It Fall Apart Again?’

Oasis

KAMIL KRZACZYNSKI/AFP/Getty Images

Oasis Doc Trailer Shows Noel Gallagher Asking, ‘Will It Fall Apart Again?’

A trailer for the upcoming Oasis doc, Don’t Look Back in Anger, shows the Brothers Gallagher working through their past issues in the run-up to their celebrated 2025 comeback tour. The two-minute clip foreshadows a sense of catharsis in the film, set to open in IMAX theaters on Sept. 11. It will also be available to stream on Hulu by the end of the year.

The trailer opens with sound bites of Liam and Noel putting each other down in interviews before cutting to their reunion announcement. But even then, with the outward appearance of rapprochement, the siblings were struggling with their legacies and each other. “I just don’t see myself onstage with Liam,” Noel says. “I don’t really want to be going back with the tension. Will it fall apart again?” There’s a lot of fretting about the stage as they work through their anger, but of course we already know there’s a happy ending — or at least one that was more sweet than bitter.

Keep ReadingShow less
Fontaines D.C. Preview New Album ‘Dopamine Chamber’ With Song ‘Marianne’

Fontaines D.C.

Elizaveta Porodina*

Fontaines D.C. Preview New Album ‘Dopamine Chamber’ With Song ‘Marianne’

Irish post-punk band Fontaines D.C. are officially back and have announced their fifth album. Dopamine Chamber arrives on Oct. 16 via XL Recordings and the record’s lead single, “Marianne,” is out now.

“Marianne” pulls from the same post-punk chords of their last album Romance. With atmospheric drums and brooding guitar, Chatten beckons the listener to him like a snake oil salesman: “This year, you should come and stay here,” he sings. “You can follow my lead/I can help you disappear.” “Marianne” takes partial inspiration in the 2024 miniseries Ripley, which starred fellow Irishman Andrew Scott.

Keep ReadingShow less
Taylor Swift Can’t Stop Listening to Phoebe Bridgers’ New Album

Phoebe Bridgers and Taylor Swift perform onstage during “Taylor Swift | The Eras Tour” at MetLife Stadium on May 26, 2023 in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

Kevin Mazur/Getty Images

Taylor Swift Can’t Stop Listening to Phoebe Bridgers’ New Album

Taylor Swift can’t stop listening to Phoebe Bridgers‘ new album Lost Weekend. Same, Taylor, same.

In a social media post celebrating Bridgers’ birthday, the the pop superstar praised her friend, and former collaborator, on her trip around the sun, and “triumph” of an album. “It’s her birthday but she gave us a gift,” Swift wrote of Lost Weekend. “Haven’t been able to stop listening. This album is an absolute triumph in every way. To write about grief with such vulnerability and detail, and to trust the listener with this much honesty,” she added. Swift ended her note with: “Happy bday I love you!!”

Keep ReadingShow less
Andy Shauf Returns to 'The Party' for 10th Anniversary Edition
Colin Medley

Andy Shauf Returns to 'The Party' for 10th Anniversary Edition

A decade after the release of The Party, Andy Shauf is returning to the album with an expanded anniversary edition arriving October 16.

The Party (10th Anniversary Edition) will be released as a double-vinyl set featuring the original album alongside nine bonus tracks. The additional material, including alternate versions and demos, will also be released digitally as the afterparty.

Keep ReadingShow less