Skip to content
Search

'Heated Rivalry' Author Rachel Reid Donates $300k to Help N.-S. Libraries

Reid says the libraries that helped inspire her writing career deserve the same support that helped her become a successful author.

'Heated Rivalry' Author Rachel Reid Donates $300k to Help N.-S. Libraries
Rachel Reid talks about her new book 'Unrivaled' at a Spotify audiobooks event.
Morgan Smith for Spotify

Rachel Reid is putting some of the success behind Heated Rivalry toward a cause that helped shape her career in the first place. The Nova Scotia author has announced a donation of $300,000 to the Annapolis Valley Regional Library after learning that five branches were facing permanent closure due to lack of funding.

Reid told CBC News that the decision was driven by a desire to give back to the community that supported her long before her romance novels became a global success. "I had to do it because I don't know what the point is of being a successful author in Nova Scotia if you're not going to use it for good," she said.


The donation comes after the library board turned to its reserves to keep the threatened branches operating through next month. The five locations, in Hantsport, Kentville, Lawrencetown, Port Williams and Middleton, had been facing closure as the library struggled to secure enough funding to maintain them through the end of this fiscal year.

Earlier this year, the board had asked the municipalities it serves for $351,000 in additional funding, but only received about a third of that amount.

Reid's contribution was warmly welcomed by local officials, with Kentville mayor Andrew Zebian sharing on Facebook that the donation "is an incredible gift, and it will make a real difference for libraries and the people who use them across our region". Library CEO Julia Merritt said the $300,000 gift will allow all five branches to remain open until the end of the current fiscal year, with most of the money going toward staffing costs.

"This is an incredibly generous gift, and we are profoundly grateful to Rachel for choosing to invest in libraries, the Annapolis Valley, and the people our libraries serve" Merritt said in a statement, adding that the donation will help the library continue providing opportunities for people across the region to read, learn and connect.

The library, however, has stressed that the gift is not a substitute for reliable annual funding from governments.

More Stories

Robby Hoffman Drops Limited-Edition Vinyl of Her Latest Comedy Special ‘Wake Up’
Aaron Wynia*

Robby Hoffman Drops Limited-Edition Vinyl of Her Latest Comedy Special ‘Wake Up’

“It’s that old trope, that musicians want to be comedians, and comedians want to be rock stars,” Robby Hoffman says.

We’re talking about her comedy special, Robby Hoffman: Wake Up, which was produced by John Mulaney and was a breakout hit on Netflix when it aired in December 2025. Today, it also drops as an album from the legendary indie label Secretly Canadian, available in digital format as well as a limited run of signed vinyl. (Find out where to order here.)

Keep ReadingShow less
‘Deeply Emotional’: Luigi Mangione’s Friends React to His Guilty Plea

Luigi Mangione, pictured in Honolulu in 2023, pleaded guilty last week.

Hawaii Dept. of Land and Natural Resources/AP

‘Deeply Emotional’: Luigi Mangione’s Friends React to His Guilty Plea

On Friday, Luigi Mangione confessed to stalking and killing United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson on a Manhattan street in Dec. 2024. Since the shooting, Mangione has become a nationally recognized figure, and for some he is a symbol of violent retaliation against a broken healthcare system. Throughout the swirl of attention on him, though, his friends and family have remained largely silent.

While in Metropolitan Detention Center, a federal jail in Brooklyn known for housing inmates such as Diddy and Sam Bankman-Fried, Mangione has stayed in touch with some friends. Mangione didn’t have any friends or family in federal court Friday, but friends who spoke with Rolling Stone say they were unaware he was planning to submit a guilty plea. His federal trial was set to begin in Jan. 2027, and the state trial was scheduled for next month.

Keep ReadingShow less
Canada’s Proposed Social Media Age Limit Comes With a Complicated Question

Canada’s Proposed Social Media Age Limit Comes With a Complicated Question

Canada’s proposed social media ban for children under 16 comes with an obvious question: how exactly do you prove someone's age? That question is at the centre of Bill C-34, introduced by the federal government in June. The legislation would require social media platforms to block users under 16, but it does not put forward a clear way for companies to determine someone’s age.

As other countries have discovered, an age gate is only as effective as the system behind it, and the options currently being considered all involve some combination of inconvenience, privacy concerns and opportunities to cheat.

Keep ReadingShow less
Perez Hilton Is Receiving Inpatient Treatment, Family Says

Perez Hilton attending the Not Alone Awards in Las Vegas on Nov. 11, 2025

Getty Images/David Becker

Perez Hilton Is Receiving Inpatient Treatment, Family Says

Perez Hilton is now receiving inpatient medical care after being hospitalized under Florida’s Baker Act following an overdose and an incident in which he livestreamed acts of self-harm on TikTok.

His family shared the news in a new statement on the blogger’s website. “Perez remains hospitalized and is receiving the medical care he needs,” the post read. “His treatment is continuing in an inpatient setting under the care of a dedicated team of medical and mental health professionals.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Luigi Mangione Details for the First Time How He Planned UnitedHealthcare CEO Murder

Luigi Mangione in court last June. On Aug 14, he pleaded guilty to two federal counts. He will be sentenced in December.

Angelina Katsanis/POOL/AFP/Getty Images

Luigi Mangione Details for the First Time How He Planned UnitedHealthcare CEO Murder

On Friday, Luigi Mangione appeared at a surprise hearing in Manhattan federal court in order to change his plea from “not guilty” to “guilty” for two charges involving the death of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson. During the hearing, he read a lengthy statement about how he stalked and killed Brian Thompson, the United Healthcare CEO, on the streets of Midtown Manhattan in December 2024. He also spoke about his experiences navigating the healthcare industry, in what have been his most lengthy public statements to date.

“I’m going to ask you now to tell me in your own words what you did that makes you believe that you are guilty of these charges,” Judge Margaret Garnett told Mangione on Friday morning. She reminded Mangione to read slowly and told him he could stand, although he said he wished to remain seated.

Keep ReadingShow less