Skip to content
Search

Celeste Rivas Family in ‘Indescribable Pain’ as They Reject Rumors D4vd Paid Them

"I never had any contact with this guy," Celeste's dad, Jesus Rivas, says in a new statement provided by the family's lawyer, Patrick Steinfeld

Celeste Rivas Family in ‘Indescribable Pain’ as They Reject Rumors D4vd Paid Them

Rivas Hernandez family left to right: mom Mercedes, older siblings Matthew and Jennifer, Celeste (10 years old), and dad Jesus.

Courtesy of Steinfeld Law Firm

The family of Celeste Rivas Hernandez is in “unfathomable pain” and is pushing back on rumors after prosecutors laid out a chilling account this week of how the 14-year-old California girl was allegedly murdered and dismembered by platinum-selling singer D4vd.

In a statement Friday, Celeste’s father, Jesus Rivas, flatly rejected online speculation that the musician paid the family to gain their trust or silence.


“I never had any contact with this guy, and we haven’t received any money from him or anyone in his family,” Jesus said in the new statement shared with Rolling Stone by family attorney Patrick Steinfeld.

In his own statement, Steinfeld said Celeste’s parents, brother, and sister were left devastated by the flood of grisly details revealed by prosecutors in a court filing Wednesday. In the disturbing evidence brief, prosecutors alleged D4vd, born David Anthony Burke, stabbed Celeste to death at his Hollywood Hills rental home on April 23, 2025, to cover up the sexual relationship he pursued with her when she was 13 and he was an adult.

“I had the heartbreaking responsibility of informing the Rivas Hernandez family of the horrifying allegations submitted in court,” Steinfeld said. “That David Anthony Burke allegedly stabbed Celeste, ‘stood by while she bled’ to death, used a chainsaw to cut off her limbs, and bought a ‘burn cage’ with the plan to ‘incinerate the evidence.’”

He said delivering the news “was the most difficult thing I’ve had to do in 37 years as a lawyer.” Though he initially encouraged the family to speak publicly after Burke was charged and appeared in court, the “gruesome details emerging almost daily” left the family so deeply “shocked,” they could not gather the strength to speak, he said.

“There are no words to express the indescribable pain the family is experiencing right now,” he said. “They still have bills to pay and jobs they go to every day. All they want is time to grieve and heal.”

Burke, now 21, was charged last week with first-degree murder, continuous sexual abuse of a child under the age of 14, and unlawful mutilation of human remains. Prosecutors added special circumstance allegations of murder of a witness, murder for financial gain, and lying in wait, which make him eligible for the death penalty. (Prosecutors have yet to decide whether to pursue the death penalty.) He has pleaded not guilty.

A Los Angeles judge allowed the public release of the evidence brief on Wednesday after Burke’s defense lawyer, Blair Berk, argued it was so “entirely one-sided” that it would taint any jury pool for a potential future trial. Berk asked that it be sealed, but the judge rejected the request.

In the nine-page filing, prosecutors claim surveillance video shows Burke driving his Tesla on July 29, 2025, before parking it near his rental home and leaving for a concert tour. The car was later towed and impounded, with investigators finding Rivas’ dismembered, badly decomposed remains in the front truck on Sept. 8, 2025.

“For several weeks, or possibly months, defendants left the victim’s body to decompose inside his Tesla. He lied to friends, business associates, and others who noticed the strong smell of decay in and around his home and vehicle,” the brief claims.

The filing alleges Burke met Rivas when she was 11. When her family later reported her missing, authorities found Burke’s number in her phone records and informed him of her age, it says. Burke “continued to pursue” Rivas after that, prosecutors say, allegedly paying a classmate $1,000 to deliver a secret phone so they could stay in touch.

Recovered text messages between Burke and Rivas allegedly reference sex, pregnancy, and abortion. Prosecutors say the pair argued the night before Burke allegedly paid an Uber driver to ferry Rivas from her home more than an hour outside Los Angeles, in Lake Elsinore, to his rental house in the Hollywood Hills. They allege Burke killed her almost immediately after she arrived.

“Knowing he had to silence the victim before she ruined his music career as she had threatened, very soon after her arrival at his home, defendant stabbed the victim to death multiple times and stood by while she bled out,” the filing says.

Prosecutors allege Burke later bought a shovel, chainsaws, a body bag, and a blue inflatable kiddie pool under a fake name online, and used the items to dismember Rivas in his garage. They say blood evidence found in his rental home’s garage is a match for Celeste, and they claim he lied to people who noticed the smell of her decomposing remains.

“For several weeks, or possibly months, defendants left the victim’s body to decompose inside his Tesla. He lied to friends, business associates, and others who noticed the strong smell of decay in and around his home and vehicle,” the blockbuster evidence brief, obtained by Rolling Stone, claims.

If convicted as charged, Burke faces life in prison without parole or the death penalty.

More Stories

Harry Styles Discos All the Time, School Assemblies Occasionally in ‘Dance No More’ Video

Harry Styles.

YouTube

Harry Styles Discos All the Time, School Assemblies Occasionally in ‘Dance No More’ Video

In his new video, Harry Styles leads the greatest pep rally ever. The “Dance No More” clip begins with Styles walking into a circle of musicians, dancing and singing, and eventually when (college-aged) students show up to watch him, the gym transforms into a a dance floor with everyone doing coordinated moves. By the end of it, people are of course kissing, because that’s what should be happening all the time. Colin Solal Cardo, who has made clips for Roby, Wolf Alice, and Charli XCX, directed the video.

“Dance No More” appears on Styles’ latest album Kiss All the Time. Disco, Occasionally. Earlier this year, the musician performed the song during his double-duty stint on Saturday Night Live. It was an unexpected choice given the previous release of singles “Aperture” and “American Girls.” But “Dance No More” perhaps best captures the beating heart of the album.

Keep ReadingShow less
Kodak Black Turns Himself in to Police on 2025 MDMA Drug Trafficking Charges in Florida

Kodak Black.

Joy Malone/Getty Images

Kodak Black Turns Himself in to Police on 2025 MDMA Drug Trafficking Charges in Florida

Kodak Black was arrested in Orange County, Florida, earlier this week, on suspicion of drug trafficking, according to a search of Orange County Inmate Records. The records show that authorities have accused the rapper, real name Bill Kahan Kapri, of trafficking an amount of MDMA greater than 10 grams in mass but less than 200 grams. The rapper, whose last known location was Fort Lauderdale, was booked on Wednesday and “presentenced.” His case will be considered in a circuit court.

The Orlando Police Department did not immediately respond to Rolling Stone’s request for comment.

Keep ReadingShow less
The Radical Life and Surprising Reinvention of Steve Albini

The Radical Life and Surprising Reinvention of Steve Albini

On a brisk November day in 2024, a crowd gathers on Belmont Ave. in Chicago outside a two-story brick building, the only hint of its storied significance a red door bearing a lower-case “e” placard. Family, friends, and fans are here to pay tribute to Steve Albini, the venerated recording engineer, who died of a heart attack six months prior at age 61. The City of Chicago is honoring him, giving the street flanking his long-running Electrical Audio studio the designation of Steve Albini Way.

It’s an apt distinction: Albini’s way — from his unusual approach to recording, which emphasized the live sound of a band and influenced decades of rock music, to his cantankerous screeds, which often warranted accusations of misogyny and racism in his earlier years — was one of a kind. Albini was also a loyal friend whose personal sense of fairness, often delivered with scathing humor, served as his compass. And he had a redemptive sea change in the last decades of his life, one that many close to him attribute to Heather Whinna, who married Albini in 2009.

Keep ReadingShow less
KJ Apa Chides ‘F-cking Liar’ Mr. Fantasy After His Friends Show Up on His Video

KJ Apa posted a video on social media alluding to Mr. Fantasy after all his friends goofed off on a recent music video with the dreamaker.

Gary Gershoff/Getty Images

KJ Apa Chides ‘F-cking Liar’ Mr. Fantasy After His Friends Show Up on His Video

After all of his friends partied on Mr. Fantasy’s “Do Me Right” video without him, KJ Apa is saying “enough is enough.”

Apa, who is believed by many fans online to be the man behind the shoddy wig, plastic sunnies, and fake teeth, set the record straight on Monday. Although he insisted he usually doesn’t do this, Apa took to social media and alluded to the celebrity-stuffed video — which features cameos from his former Riverdale co-stars, Lili Reinhart, Camila Mendes, and Madelaine Petsch — and claimed the whole charade has been “hurting me and my career.” He continued, “There was recently a music video that was released that included a bunch of people who are really close to me by a guy who’s completely and utterly stolen my image and misappropriated my image and my likeness, and I think we all know who we’re talking about, and it’s fucked up.” Apa, who never named Mr. Fantasy in the clip, also lamented that he “lost on a huge job and can no longer go in for serious work because people think that I’m a joke because of this guy.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Kanye Denies Stonewalling Musicians at ‘Hurricane’ Copyright Trial

Kanye West took the witness stand on Wednesday at a copyright trial over his an early version of his hit song "Hurricane."

Getty Images

Kanye Denies Stonewalling Musicians at ‘Hurricane’ Copyright Trial

Kanye West took the witness stand at a copyright trial in downtown Los Angeles on Wednesday, and the artist now known as Ye showed visible signs of irritation.

When the plaintiffs’ lawyer, who claims Ye owes more than half a million dollars for alleged infringement tied to his Grammy-winning track “Hurricane,” greeted him after the lunch break with, “Good afternoon, Ye,” the artist stared back silently without responding. Asked whether he repeatedly changed lawyers and licensing representatives in 2022 and 2023, making him difficult to reach, Ye answered in a flat monotone, repeatedly saying, “I don’t recall” and “I don’t remember.”

Keep ReadingShow less