Skip to content
Search

Kel Mitchell Recalls Nickelodeon Showrunner Dan Schneider ‘Yelling’ at Him

Kel Mitchell Recalls Nickelodeon Showrunner Dan Schneider ‘Yelling’ at Him

It’s been a couple of months since the docuseries Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV brought allegations of abuse on the sets of Nickelodeon kids shows to light. Now one of the network’s biggest stars, Kel Mitchell (All That, Kenan & Kel) is opening up about his experiences with writer and showrunner Dan Schneider, who allegedly allowed a hostile work environment to develop for the shows’ stars. Some of the accusations against Schneider that were described on Quiet on Set include gender discrimination, overlooking people of color, and making inappropriate jokes.

On the podcast Baby, This Is Keke Palmer, Mitchell described situations where he felt Schneider abused him verbally as he took over All That. “[The producers] left us with the head writer, Dan Schneider,” he told Palmer, according to People. “So he’s writing, and me and him kind of bump heads a little bit. I remember me and Dan had a big argument on set. He was like, ‘Let’s go over here to this room right here, in this closet.’ He closed the door, and he just took off, you know, just yelling all this wild stuff.” Mitchell remembered being 18 or 19 years old around the time.


“Being an adult at this point … I was just like, ‘OK, either we [are] going to fight or either I’m going to leave,'” he recalled. “And so that’s what I did. I left the situation.”

In March, Schneider issued an apology for “rude” behavior on his shows. That same month, Mitchell’s acting foil on the shows, Kenan Thompson, said that he didn’t experience that sort of abuse but he wanted to see more action on the part of Nickelodeon. “I can’t really speak on things that I’ve never witnessed,” Thompson said on the Tamron Hall Show. “You know what I’m saying? Because all these things happened after I left, basically, and Dan [Schneider] wasn’t really on Kenan & Kel like that. I mean, he got a ‘created by’ credit, but it was a different showrunner. So our worlds weren’t really overlapping outside of all that, necessarily. And then all that negativity kind of started happening outside of our tenure there.”

Last month, Schneider filed a lawsuit against Quiet on Set’s creators, alleging defamation since he felt the series linked him to sexual predators who worked on Nickelodeon productions. “In their successful attempt to mislead viewers and increase ratings, they went beyond reporting the truth and falsely implied that I was involved in or facilitated horrific crimes for which actual child predators have been prosecuted and convicted,” he said in a statement. “I have no objection to anyone highlighting my failures as a boss, but it is wrong to mislead millions of people to the false conclusion that I was in any way involved in heinous acts like those committed by child predators. I owe it to myself, my family, and the many wonderful people involved in making these shows to set the record straight.”

More Stories

Rebel Wilson Accused of Using ‘The Deb’ Actress as ‘Leverage’ During Defamation-Suit Hearing

Wilson at the ‘Young Woman and the Sea’ premiere in 2024

Matt Winkelmeyer/WireImage

Rebel Wilson Accused of Using ‘The Deb’ Actress as ‘Leverage’ During Defamation-Suit Hearing

Rebel Wilson appeared at the Federal Court of Australia in Sydney on Monday to begin hearing procedures for the defamation lawsuit filed against her by actress Charlotte MacInnes. MacInnes plays a lead role in The Deb, the debut directorial film from Wilson, the release of which has been significantly delayed due to legal battles. Legal representatives for the actress referred to Wilson as a “bully” in court, accusing her of using MacInnes as “leverage” in a separate dispute with producers of the film.

The lawsuit primarily pertains to a series of Instagram posts published by Wilson. MacInnes claims the actress-director shared posts that suggested she was sexually harassed by Amanda Ghost — a producer on The Deb whom Wilson previously sued for breach of contract and fraud — and in turn damaged her reputation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Katy Perry Denies Ruby Rose’s Sexual Assault Claim, Calls Accusations ‘Reckless Lies’

Katy Perry Denies Ruby Rose’s Sexual Assault Claim, Calls Accusations ‘Reckless Lies’

Katy Perry has denied Ruby Rose’s claim that she sexually assaulted the actress more than a decade ago at a nightclub in Australia.

“The allegations being circulated on social media by Ruby Rose about Katy Perry are not only categorically false, they are dangerous, reckless lies,” a representative for Perry says in a statement to Rolling Stone. “Ms. Rose has a well-documented history of making serious public allegations on social media against various individuals, claims that have repeatedly been denied by those named.”

Keep ReadingShow less
‘The Christophers’ Lets Two Great British Actors Cook

Michaela Coel and Ian McKellen in ‘The Christophers.’

Claudette Barius/NEON

‘The Christophers’ Lets Two Great British Actors Cook

Two quick questions: What makes great art great? And: When does Steven Soderbergh sleep?

That first query is the quietly thrumming engine behind The Christophers, a dual character study that, at any given moment, threatens to swerve down the side streets of an art-world thriller, an odd-couple buddy comedy, and an off-the-cuff theater piece. In this corner, we have an incorrigible, politically incorrect painter of the old guard — a bad-boy archetype who thrived in the Swinging Sixties and isn’t above dropping famous names for effect. (He used to hang with Ringo, “but not the Ringo you’re thinking of.”) In the other corner, a young artist whose ambition was smothered and has entered his orbit under false pretenses. The raging immovable object will butt up against the cool, collected irresistible force. The fight is over quaint philosophical concepts such as legacy, standards, inspiration, talent, and whether any of those things actually play into channeling the divine onto a blank canvas.

Keep ReadingShow less
‘Ketamine Queen’ Sentenced to 15 Years in Connection to Matthew Perry Death

Matthew Perry in London, 2016.

David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images

‘Ketamine Queen’ Sentenced to 15 Years in Connection to Matthew Perry Death

The Los Angeles drug dealer prosecutors dubbed the “Ketamine Queen” was sentenced to 15 years in prison on Wednesday for supplying the powerful dissociative anesthetic that killed actor Matthew Perry in his backyard jacuzzi two and a half years ago.

Jasveen Sangha had asked for a lenient sentence of time served, citing her lack of a prior criminal record and the 20 months she’s been locked up since her August 2024 arrest. Prosecutors urged the court to give her the 15 years behind bars, one year more than federal probation officials recommended.

Keep ReadingShow less
‘Euphoria’ Creator Sam Levinson Says There Are ‘No Plans’ for Season 4

Sam Levinson attends HBO’s ‘Euphoria’ Season 3 premiere at the TCL Chinese theatre in Hollywood.

Chris Delmas / AFP via Getty Images

‘Euphoria’ Creator Sam Levinson Says There Are ‘No Plans’ for Season 4

After Zendaya recently speculated that Euphoria will end after its upcoming third season, the show’s creator Sam Levinson confirmed that there are currently “no plans” for a follow-up.

Speaking to Variety on the red carpet of the Season 3 premiere last night, Levinson said he writes “every season like it’s the last season,” adding that he has “no plans” for Season 4. The creator said he is focused on delivering a solid third season instead.

Keep ReadingShow less