Skip to content
Search

Kylie Minogue Reveals She Privately Beat Cancer a Second Time: ‘All Is Well’

Artist faced breast cancer in 2005, and in a new docuseries, Kylie, reveals she battled cancer again in 2021

Kylie Minogue Reveals She Privately Beat Cancer a Second Time: ‘All Is Well’

Kylie Minogue.

John Phillips/Getty Images for Netflix

In a new docuseries about Kylie Minogue, the pop star revealed that after she faced a cancer scare that the media covered heavily two decades ago, she privately faced a second diagnosis in 2021 and “got through it again.”

“Thankfully, I got through it, again, and all is well,” she said in the film, according to the BBC. “Hey, who knows what’s around the corner, but pop music nurtures me… my passion for music is greater than ever.” The three-part docuseries, Kylie, is available now on Netflix.


In May 2005, Minogue announced she had been diagnosed with the early stages of breast cancer, forcing her to cancel tour dates. “Hopefully all will work out fine, and I’ll be back with you all again soon,” she said at the time. Later that month, news broke that she was recovering from surgery and that her doctor had deemed the operation a success. It is not known if her second bout of cancer was also breast cancer.

In the docuseries Kylie, Minogue said she had a hard time deciding when the right time to talk about her second diagnosis was, even as she did press for her 2023 album, Tension. “I don’t feel obliged to tell the world, and actually I just couldn’t at the time because I was just a shell of a person,” Minogue said in the docuseries, according to the BBC. “I didn’t want to leave the house again at one point.

“[The Tension single] ‘Padam Padam’ opened so many doors for me, but on the inside I knew that cancer wasn’t just a blip in my life,” she continued. “And I really just wanted to say what happened so I can let go of it. I’d sit through interviews and every opportunity I thought, ‘now’s the time’, but I kept it to myself.”

She’s talking about it now, she said, to encourage people to get routine checkups, since that’s how her doctors discovered her diagnosis. “Early detection was very helpful and I am so grateful to be able to say that I am well today,” she said. Minogue’s publicization of her first diagnosis led to many women, especially in Australia, getting checked, leading to what the BBC calls “the Kylie effect.”

In the docuseries, Minogue revealed that she initially postponed treatment the first time so she could do IVF. Saying no to chemotherapy was “very scary,” she said. She was eventually deemed cancer-free in 2008.

In 2013, Minogue told Rolling Stone she hoped her story of surviving cancer could offer hope to those struggling with cancer. “I realized in my story there was a lot of courage, and from the people around me as well – my parents, my brother and sister, the rest of my family, friends, and from myself, of course,” she said. At the time, she was accepting the Courage Award at an event benefitting EIF’s Women’s Cancer Research Fund. “I’m very honored to be presented with the award, and I can only accept on behalf of anyone who has been through or is going through this kind of ordeal, because you do have to dig deep.”

Kylie was directed by Michael Harte, who also made the Michael J. Fox film, Still. Among others, it features insights from Minogue’s sister, Dannii Minogue; actor and singer Jason Donovan, who once dated Minogue; Nick Cave; and music producer Peter Waterman.

More Stories

Young Dolph Shooter Pleads Guilty, Concluding Rapper’s Murder Case

EW YORK, NEW YORK - OCTOBER 30: Young Dolph performs during Rolling Loud New York 2021 at Citi Field on October 30, 2021 in New York City.

(Photo by Jason Mendez/Getty Images)

Young Dolph Shooter Pleads Guilty, Concluding Rapper’s Murder Case

The Tennessee man who previously admitted to shooting Young Dolph pleaded guilty Friday to charges stemming from the rapper’s 2021 death, bringing the murder case to its conclusion.

Cornelius Smith Jr. pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a plea deal with Memphis prosecutors, nearly two years after Smith admitted on the witness stand that he and co-defendant Justin Johnson shot Young Dolph during a daytime ambush at a Memphis bakery; Smith served as the main witness at the trial of Johnson, who was later convicted and sentenced to life in prison.

Keep ReadingShow less
Drake, Gracie Abrams, Rostam, and All the Songs You Need to Know This Week
Simone Joyner/Getty Images/ABA

Drake, Gracie Abrams, Rostam, and All the Songs You Need to Know This Week

Welcome to our weekly rundown of the best new music — featuring big singles, key tracks from our favorite albums, and more. In case you missed it, Drake surprise-dropped three entire albums today, making sure to include a single girl summer club anthem in there. Meanwhile, Gracie Abrams gives us a look inside the mind of a daughter from hell, and Rostam reunites with Clairo for a hopeful look at the future. Plus, new tunes from Towa Bird, Kevin Morby, Becky G, Eartheater, and the Mountain Goats.

Drake, “Hoe Phase” (YouTube)

Keep ReadingShow less
V and J-Hope Are in Shock Over Drake’s BTS Shoutout on ‘Iceman’

Jung Kook, Jin, V, Suga, RM, Jimin, and j-hope of BTS

Todd Owyoung/NBC/Getty Images

V and J-Hope Are in Shock Over Drake’s BTS Shoutout on ‘Iceman’

On Friday, Drake released his new album Iceman — and surprise-released two more records: Habibti and Maid Of Honour. The internet is currently reacting to this massive feat — and that includes BTS, who received a shoutout on the Iceman opener “Make Them Cry.”

The reaction came from BTS’ V and J-Hope, posted via V’s Instagram story (a fan posted it on YouTube below). They stand in front of the camera, listening to “Make Them Cry,” head-banging with hats on. But as Drake approaches the fourth line of the first verse — “I’m feeling like BTS ’cause it took the whole career for me to be so discovered” — they freeze, staring at each other in disbelief.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump White House Uses Drake’s ‘Iceman’ Release to Push MAGA Agenda

Drake

Prince Williams/Wireimage

Trump White House Uses Drake’s ‘Iceman’ Release to Push MAGA Agenda

The White House took time out from the Iran war and raging inflation to celebrate the arrival of Drake’s Iceman with a controversy-seeking social media post.

On the official White House account, the Trump administration shared an image spoofing the Iceman cover, with a diamond-encrusted glove holding a similarly blinged-out chain with MAGA on it. “ICED OUT,” the White House wrote.

Keep ReadingShow less