Skip to content
Search

‘Harry Potter’ Series Unveils First Trailer: ‘The Next Time I See You Will Be in Hogwarts’

Three best friends and a Philosopher’s Stone are heading to HBO Max this Christmas

‘Harry Potter’ Series Unveils First Trailer: ‘The Next Time I See You Will Be in Hogwarts’

Dominic McLaughlin stars in ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone’

Aidan Monaghan/HBO

For fans still waiting for their Hogwarts letter, we have some good news: On Christmas Day, Harry, Hermione, and Ron will return to the screen for HBO Max’s highly anticipated adaptation of the beloved books by J. K. Rowling.

In the first trailer for Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, the all-new cast is introduced with Dominic McLaughlin stepping into the role of Harry alongside Arabella Stanton playing Hermione Granger and Alastair Stout as Ron Weasley. The three soon-to-be best friends collide as wide-eyed 11-year-olds on the Hogwarts Express. The video also offers sneak peeks at some of the most iconic moments from the book including Harry meeting the half-giant Hagrid (Nick Frost), crossing the magically concealed Platform 9¾ at King’s Cross Station, putting on the Sorting Hat, stepping onto the Quidditch pitch as Gryffindor’s seeker, and tons more scenes likely to conjure up feelings of nostalgia for longtime fans of the novels and previous films.


The two-minute teaser also features John Lithgow as Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, Janet McTeer as Professor Minerva McGonagall, and Paapa Essiedu as Professor Severus Snape. HBO has planned to film and run seven seasons, one for each of the seven Harry Potter books. Rowling serves as an executive producer on the project.

The author has angered both the public and previous Potter stars in recent years for her outspoken anti-trans rhetoric. Daniel Radcliffe, who played Potter in the movies (2001-2011), said that Rowling’s rhetoric “makes [him] really sad.” Emma Watson, the films’ Granger, said that a conversation with Rowling about her beliefs “was never made possible.” And Keira Knightley, who was cast for an audiobook edition of the Harry Potter books, said she was unaware of Rowling’s views, asking that everyone find respect for one another

Aware of the backlash, HBO’s chief content officer Casey Bloys discussed the series’ content on a podcast in May last year. “It’s pretty clear that those are her personal, political views,” Bloys said. “She’s entitled to them. Harry Potter is not secretly being infused with anything. And if you want to debate her, you can go on Twitter.”

More Stories

Rebel Wilson Accused of Using ‘The Deb’ Actress as ‘Leverage’ During Defamation-Suit Hearing

Wilson at the ‘Young Woman and the Sea’ premiere in 2024

Matt Winkelmeyer/WireImage

Rebel Wilson Accused of Using ‘The Deb’ Actress as ‘Leverage’ During Defamation-Suit Hearing

Rebel Wilson appeared at the Federal Court of Australia in Sydney on Monday to begin hearing procedures for the defamation lawsuit filed against her by actress Charlotte MacInnes. MacInnes plays a lead role in The Deb, the debut directorial film from Wilson, the release of which has been significantly delayed due to legal battles. Legal representatives for the actress referred to Wilson as a “bully” in court, accusing her of using MacInnes as “leverage” in a separate dispute with producers of the film.

The lawsuit primarily pertains to a series of Instagram posts published by Wilson. MacInnes claims the actress-director shared posts that suggested she was sexually harassed by Amanda Ghost — a producer on The Deb whom Wilson previously sued for breach of contract and fraud — and in turn damaged her reputation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Katy Perry Denies Ruby Rose’s Sexual Assault Claim, Calls Accusations ‘Reckless Lies’

Katy Perry Denies Ruby Rose’s Sexual Assault Claim, Calls Accusations ‘Reckless Lies’

Katy Perry has denied Ruby Rose’s claim that she sexually assaulted the actress more than a decade ago at a nightclub in Australia.

“The allegations being circulated on social media by Ruby Rose about Katy Perry are not only categorically false, they are dangerous, reckless lies,” a representative for Perry says in a statement to Rolling Stone. “Ms. Rose has a well-documented history of making serious public allegations on social media against various individuals, claims that have repeatedly been denied by those named.”

Keep ReadingShow less
‘The Christophers’ Lets Two Great British Actors Cook

Michaela Coel and Ian McKellen in ‘The Christophers.’

Claudette Barius/NEON

‘The Christophers’ Lets Two Great British Actors Cook

Two quick questions: What makes great art great? And: When does Steven Soderbergh sleep?

That first query is the quietly thrumming engine behind The Christophers, a dual character study that, at any given moment, threatens to swerve down the side streets of an art-world thriller, an odd-couple buddy comedy, and an off-the-cuff theater piece. In this corner, we have an incorrigible, politically incorrect painter of the old guard — a bad-boy archetype who thrived in the Swinging Sixties and isn’t above dropping famous names for effect. (He used to hang with Ringo, “but not the Ringo you’re thinking of.”) In the other corner, a young artist whose ambition was smothered and has entered his orbit under false pretenses. The raging immovable object will butt up against the cool, collected irresistible force. The fight is over quaint philosophical concepts such as legacy, standards, inspiration, talent, and whether any of those things actually play into channeling the divine onto a blank canvas.

Keep ReadingShow less
‘Ketamine Queen’ Sentenced to 15 Years in Connection to Matthew Perry Death

Matthew Perry in London, 2016.

David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images

‘Ketamine Queen’ Sentenced to 15 Years in Connection to Matthew Perry Death

The Los Angeles drug dealer prosecutors dubbed the “Ketamine Queen” was sentenced to 15 years in prison on Wednesday for supplying the powerful dissociative anesthetic that killed actor Matthew Perry in his backyard jacuzzi two and a half years ago.

Jasveen Sangha had asked for a lenient sentence of time served, citing her lack of a prior criminal record and the 20 months she’s been locked up since her August 2024 arrest. Prosecutors urged the court to give her the 15 years behind bars, one year more than federal probation officials recommended.

Keep ReadingShow less
‘Euphoria’ Creator Sam Levinson Says There Are ‘No Plans’ for Season 4

Sam Levinson attends HBO’s ‘Euphoria’ Season 3 premiere at the TCL Chinese theatre in Hollywood.

Chris Delmas / AFP via Getty Images

‘Euphoria’ Creator Sam Levinson Says There Are ‘No Plans’ for Season 4

After Zendaya recently speculated that Euphoria will end after its upcoming third season, the show’s creator Sam Levinson confirmed that there are currently “no plans” for a follow-up.

Speaking to Variety on the red carpet of the Season 3 premiere last night, Levinson said he writes “every season like it’s the last season,” adding that he has “no plans” for Season 4. The creator said he is focused on delivering a solid third season instead.

Keep ReadingShow less