Skip to content
Search

The U.S. Military is Almost Out of Money (or So They Say)

Pentagon sources told NBC News that the military may start “parking jets and turning off exercises” if Congress doesn't give them more money

The U.S. Military is Almost Out of Money (or So They Say)

The Pentagon, headquarters of the U.S. Department of Defense.

J. David Ake/Getty Images

The budget of the American Department of Defense is eternally bloated. Like a ballooned whale carcass that is fed on by a frenzy of contractors, corporations, and ever-growing military operations, the DOD is the heart of a financial ecosystem that spans the globe. With nearly a trillion dollars allocated annually to its function, it’s a bit of a shock that the Trump administration is claiming the so-called “Department of War” is about to run out of cash.

According to sources who spoke to NBC News, the Pentagon is warning lawmakers that it could soon run out of cash on hand should Congress not approve pending supplemental funding requests. So what spending is driving the budget shortfall? Primarily, Trump’s war with Iran.


After initially claiming that the war with Iran would cost roughly $25 billion, the total estimated cost of the war — which Trump put back in active gear on Wednesday — has ballooned to over an estimated $132 billion.

While the outright cost of operations is one thing, the DOD is also broadcasting to Congress that it will need additional funds to restock arms stockpiles and weapons systems that have been depleted.

We may need to start “parking jets and turning off exercises” one former Pentagon official told NBC News.

In the background, Trump is demanding another 44-percent increase in annual Pentagon funds from Congress — on top of the $150 billion already authorized by the “Big Beautiful Bill” in July of last year. The move would balloon the budget of America’s military apparatus to over $1.5 trillion in annual spending. The DOD itself is requesting $67 billion in emergency supplemental funding from Congress.

The demands have gridlocked Congressional Republicans, who are facing tough reelection bids in the upcoming midterms, and are wary of dumping billions more into Trump’s deeply unpopular Iranian quagmire.

But the president himself is escalating the pressure to comply. “The WAR DEPARTMENT has never been ‘HOTTER.’ We need to keep it that way, which is why, when Congress returns, we must pass Reconciliation 3.0, with 350 Billion Dollars for Defense, plus THE SAVE AMERICA ACT,” Trump wrote Tuesday on Truth Social. “I am calling on House and Senate Leadership to make this their Number One Priority, and ensure that 350 Billion Dollars in Recon 3.0 moves out of the Budget Committee as soon as Congress is back in session.”

In a rare move, both chambers of Congress condemned the war against Iran via separate non-binding resolutions in June. Despite widespread popular support, a clear lack of funds, and nausea from his own party, Trump refuses to bow out of the conflict. On Wednesday — during a press conference at the annual NATO summit — Trump declared that the barely-there ceasefire and peace talks with Iran were over. That night, the U.S. military renewed its bombing campaign against Iranian targets around the Strait of Hormuz. The president celebrated by posting dozens of videos of these explosions on his social media — tax dollars aflame.

More Stories

Trump Finds Consolation in Posting Dozens of AI Slop Delusions

Donald Trump speaks during the re-scheduled White House Correspondents Dinner on July 24, 2026, in Washington, D.C.

Eric Lee/Getty Images

Trump Finds Consolation in Posting Dozens of AI Slop Delusions

If you want to get an inside view into Donald Trump’s accelerating, public detachment from reality, all you need to do is scroll through his posting diary on Truth Social. The president spent the weekend feverishly sharing a deluge of AI Slop about the Iran war, his critics, and his own self delusions.

The barrage began Sunday morning, when Trump shared an image of CNN host Kaitlan Collins edited to look like trangender influencer Dylan Mulvaney — a frequent target of right-wing attacks. The image was a reference to comments the president made during Friday night’s re-do of the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, which was rescheduled from April after a gunman attempted to force entry into the venue.

Keep ReadingShow less
Katy Perry ‘Deeply Appalled’ After White House Uses ‘Firework’ in Military Strikes TikTok Video

Katy Perry

Ricardo Rubio/Europa Press via Getty Images

Katy Perry ‘Deeply Appalled’ After White House Uses ‘Firework’ in Military Strikes TikTok Video

Katy Perry slammed the Trump administration after the White House’s TikTok account used her hit “Firework” on a video of military strikes.

“I am deeply appalled and angry to see “Firework” used on the White House TikTok account as a backing track for video footage of military strikes,” the singer wrote on X. “I did not approve this, I was not asked, and I absolutely do not condone it.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Zohran Mamdani: ‘If You Aren’t Willing to Fight, You Will Never Win’
Sacha Lecca

Zohran Mamdani: ‘If You Aren’t Willing to Fight, You Will Never Win’

Zohran Mamdani and I have a serious beef. He is unrelenting. His attacks come from all sides, when I least expect them. Charm, good looks, quick wits — just a few of the attributes that have made him New York’s youngest mayor in a generation, as well as a national political figure with the power to shake up Congress and parlay with the president — are weapons in his capable hands. I feel their brunt now for one simple reason: I am a proud supporter of Chelsea Football Club.

“What got you into Chelsea — you love Clearlake Capital?” he asks me before the cameras have even started rolling in the historic foyer of Gracie Mansion for the Rolling Stone Interview. He is roasting the fact that my team is owned by a massive American private-equity firm that spent $1.5 billion on new players only to finish in 10th place in the English Premier League this season. The mayor supports Arsenal, a rival London team who finished first. He is equally disgusted with my support for England in the World Cup. “Brother, whyyyy?” he says, grimacing.

Keep ReadingShow less
Joe Biden to Discuss Stepping Aside, Covid Response in New Memoir

Joe Biden delivers his farewell address on January 15, 2025.

MANDEL NGAN/POOL/AFP/Getty Images

Joe Biden to Discuss Stepping Aside, Covid Response in New Memoir

Former President Joe Biden has kept a mostly low profile since exiting the Oval Office in 2024, when the current administration began aggressively undoing as many of his accomplishments as possible. It turns out, he’s been writing his memoir. The book, Promise Me, America, will come out on Nov. 17 and is available for preorder.


Courtesy of Hachette Book Group

In a video announcement, Biden, 83, said the book is about his faith in America. “It’s about the challenges we faced as a nation,” he said. “[It’s] about the decisions I made, and why I made them. Leading the country though Covid, rebuilding our economy, and restoring our democracy after the attack on Jan. 6, ending our nation’s longest war in Afghanistan, strengthening NATO, and supporting Ukraine. It’s about why I chose to run for re-election and why I chose to step aside. Most of all, it’s about my faith in the promise of America.”

Keep ReadingShow less
ICE Makes Minor Concession After Two Killings in a Week

Anti-ICE protesters attend a vigil for a man that was killed by ICE, on July 13, 2026 in Biddeford, Maine.

Ryan Murphy/Getty Images

ICE Makes Minor Concession After Two Killings in a Week

In the video, Joan Sebastian Guerrero’s car drives in a slow circle. It moves at a creep, barely faster than a person’s walking pace. An ICE officer clings to the door handle, alongside the vehicle. Shortly after, Guerrero was dead, the second person killed by ICE during a botched raid in less than a week.

Guerrero, a 26-year-old Colombian national who immigrant rights groups say was legally authorized to live and work in the U.S., was killed Monday morning by ICE officers in Biddeford, Maine. Six days earlier, ICE agents shot and killed Salgado Araujo in Houston, Texas, in a similar vehicle-involved incident. Unlike many of the agency’s past killings, Araujo and Guerrero’s deaths appear to have spurred immediate policy changes. On Tuesday, the Trump administration ordered ICE to cease most vehicle stops during their operations, a minor concession that does nothing to change the underlying issues driving the agency’s deadly, nationwide immigration crackdown since Donald Trump retook office.

Keep ReadingShow less